Mocha Yule Log
Coffee Yule Log Recipe
As the big day is almost upon us, we thought we’d share this great coffee inspired Christmas recipe. This Mocha Yule Log is a great addition to any Christmas dinner table. Espresso infused chocolate sponge with chocolate glaze and coffee cream filling. Rich, creamy and deliciously indulgent, the perfect festive treat.
Ingredients – Serves 12
115g cocoa powder (unsweetened), plus extra for dusting
115g granulated sugar
6 large free-range eggs – separated
1 shot freshly brewed espresso
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
115g good quality dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids – chopped
42g butter (unsalted)
28g Golden Syrup
240ml double cream
1 shot freshly brewed espresso
60g icing sugar
To make the mocha sponge:
- Begin by preheating the oven to 190°C.
- Grease a 10” x 15” Swiss roll tin, line with greaseproof paper and lightly grease.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking powder and salt to a small bowl and combine these ingredients together.
- Brew the espresso, add the vanilla extract and stir thoroughly.
- Add the egg whites to a large mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in half of the sugar a bit at a time and beat until stiff glossy peaks are formed.
- In a separate large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and remaining sugar together until a pale thick consistency is achieved.
- Add the espresso and vanilla mixture to and whisk until blended.
- Add the cocoa mixture and beat until just blended.
- Gently fold in the egg whites a third at a time using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the cake mixture into the Swiss roll tin and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, place the tin on a wire rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Take a tea towel and sprinkle generously with icing sugar, ensuring it is well coated, even towards the edges of the towel.
- Turn the cake out onto the towel and roll the sponge up with the towel inside. Place seam side down onto a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
To make the chocolate glaze:
- Place a heatproof bowl over pan of simmering water and add the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate begins to melt, add the butter and golden syrup, stirring occasionally until chocolate has fully melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for around 20 minutes.
To make the coffee cream filling:
- Add the double cream and espresso to a mixing bowl and whisk at medium speed until soft peaks begin to form. Add the icing sugar and whisk again, this time until stiff peaks form.
To assemble the Yule log
- Gently unroll the cooled cake and with a palette knife, spread the coffee cream mixture evenly over the surface of the cake, making sure to leave a 2cm gap around all edges.
- Roll the cake back up without the towel and transfer to a clean baking sheet.
- Using a spatula or palette knife, spread the chocolate glaze all over the roll except for the ends.
- Place in the fridge until the glaze has set, the loosely cover with cling film and leave to refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour or ideally overnight.
- Remove cake from the fridge and transfer to a serving plate.
- Dust with cocoa powder and icing sugar and garnish with a sprig of holly or frozen red berries.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
rijo42 coffee beans make the perfect espresso for this recipe and are available to buy online with next day delivery. Subscribe to our blog for more great coffee recipes.