Chocolate cookie recipe for Valentine’s Day
If you’re planning a Valentine’s Special at your cafe or coffee shop, these double chocolate chip cookies will be a surefire winner. Serve on the side of your coffee orders to bring a smile to customers’ faces. Rather than the biscuits themselves being heart shaped, the heart design is stencilled on. This makes them much quicker and easier to make, and also means they’ll bake more evenly.
Double chocolate cookies recipe
To make around 16 cookies, you’ll need:
- 200 g dark chocolate chips
- 125 g margarine or softened butter
- 125 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 225 g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar
- Heart template (see below)
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line two large baking trays with non-stick liner.
- Melt the margarine, 150g of the chocolate and the golden syrup together in a large saucepan over a very low heat,then mix in the sugar, stirring until fully dissolved. Leave the mixture to cool for a few minutes, and then beat in the egg and stir in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Add the remaining chocolate chips and stir until fully combined. Brush your hands with a little cocoa powder, and shape the mixture into 16 equally sized balls.
- Put the balls on the baking trays, and press them down slightly with the palm of your hand. The cookies will spread a lot, so don’t try and squeeze too many on the same tray – you might have to bake two batches. Bake for 12 minutes, then let them cool on the tray before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, make a small heart template from cardboard.
- When completely cold, transfer the cookies to a plate or tray and individually decorate them by placing the heart template on top and sieving a little icing sugar over.
- Serve with coffee!
If you’d like to top up your commercial coffee supplies before February 14th, just visit our main website at www.rijo42.co.uk for coffee beans, coffee accessories and everything else you need.