After dinner coffee truffles recipe
These decadent little coffee truffles are just right for finishing off a meal. Serve with a small cup of your favourite espresso as the perfect accompaniment. As they contain fresh cream, make them no more than three days in advance or make them a month in advance, freeze them and allow to defrost naturally.
What you’ll need:
- 300g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids
- 300ml double cream
- 50g unsalted butter
- 15 to 30 coffee beans
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua or Tia Maria
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
What to do:
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put it in a heat proof bowl. Put it in the microwave, and heat it in 30 second blasts, taking it out and stirring it each time, until completely melted. Set aside in a warm place. Then, put the cream, coffee beans and butter into a heavy-bottomed pan and heat very gently until just simmering. Don’t overheat, or the mixture will split when you add the chocolate – when you can see steam rising from the mixture, it’s ready. Strain through a metal sieve to remove the coffee beans, then pour over the chocolate.
- Beat the mixture together with a wooden spoon until it’s completely smooth, then stir in the coffee liqueur. When the mixture’s cool, put the bowl in the fridge for four or five hours.
- Shake some cocoa over a plate, and cover a second plate in clingfilm. Using two teaspoons, form the mixture into balls. You can also roll the balls in your hands, brushing a little sunflower oil over your hands first helps stop them sticking. After you’ve made each, ball, roll it in cocoa and place it on the cling filmed plate, making sure it doesn’t touch another truffle. Put the finished plate in the fridge for an hour, then you can either serve the truffles or transfer them to an airtight container if you’re storing them.
- For a change, try rolling the truffles in chopped nuts or coconut.
Here at Rijo42, we’ve got everything you need to make the perfect cup of coffee including some top quality coffee beans. You can take a look at our range on our main website.