10 Things You Didn’t Know About Coffee

10 Facts About Coffee You Possibly Didn’t Know

Coffee Trivia

Many of us drink coffee on a daily basis but how much do you know about your favourite brew? Here are 10 things you possibly didn’t know about your beloved caffeine hit.

  1. The world’s first energy bar? It’s thought that sometime after the first millennium, Ethopians made energy balls from a combination of ground coffee beans and animal fats.
  2. The world’s two oldest recorded cats drank coffee every day! Crème Puff and Grandpa Rex Allen are recorded as the World’s oldest felines by the Guinness Book of World Records, and lived to be 38 and 34 respectively. These cats belonged to the same owner, Jake Perry, who fed them on a diet of bacon, eggs, broccoli and coffee every morning.
  3. Hawaii is the only state in the USA that grows coffee. All coffee is grown in an area between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn known as the Bean Belt.
  4. 70% of the world drinks Arabica coffee, which is smooth, mild and aromatic. The remaining 30% drinks Robusta, a more bitter-tasting coffee with 50% more caffeine than Arabica.
  5. Caffeine kicks in around 15-20 mins after it is consumed and its effects can last anywhere up to 14 hours depending on the person.
  6. Decaf coffee is NOT caffeine free. Scientists have confirmed that drinking 5 cups of decaf is equivalent to drinking 1-2 cups of regular coffee.
  7. Coffee prevents bad breath? A study by Tel Aviv University in 2009 discovered that certain components in coffee inhibit the growth of bacteria responsible for halitosis.
  8. There’s more caffeine in a cup of coffee than in most energy drinks, 95-200mg in an 8oz cup of coffee compared with 76-80mg in an 8.46oz leading energy drink
  9. Coffee can help ease headaches! Contrary to popular belief, research suggests that a cup of coffee could help relieve migraine symptoms and even stop it if consumed at the very early stage of a headache. This is because substances that dilate blood vessels cause vascular headaches. While substances like caffeine constrict blood vessels and help counter the painful effects of blood vessel dilation in your head.
  10. Coffee is the No.1 source of antioxidants. New research has shown that coffee is rich in antioxidants, which can help protect your body from heart disease, cancer and premature ageing.

Coffee is the world’s second largest commodity after oil and is also the world’s second most consumed beverage after water.

Buy rijo42 coffee beans online at www.rijo42shop.co.uk, click here.

Back