Homemade Easter Eggs with Mocha Truffles
Making Easter Eggs at home is easier than you may think. Homemade gifts always add that extra special personal touch that can’t be bought in the shops. This recipe is the perfect Easter treat for any coffee lover, a rich dark chocolate egg hiding delicious homemade mocha truffles at its core. The Coffee & Chocolate truffles can be made in advance to save time, for recipe please click here.
For the Egg
200g high quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces (Green & Blacks 82% or equivalent)
Mocha Truffles – view recipe here
You will need:
2 chocolate egg moulds
Flat pastry brush or small paintbrush
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and add chocolate pieces. Stir until smooth then remove from the heat. Set aside and leave until cool, but still runny.
- Add a quarter of the melted chocolate to one of the egg moulds and spread in a thick layer using the brush, taking care to completely cover the sides, as this will make it easier to join the two halves of the egg together later. Hold the mould up to the light to check the chocolate is even. Repeat this process in the other egg mould. Once complete, leave both moulds in a cool place to set and then chill for 5 minutes. Do not leave the moulds in the fridge for longer than necessary as the chocolate may discolour.
- Re-heat the remaining half of the chocolate and repeat the process above for each mould, keeping around a tablespoon of chocolate back for later. Run a knife around the edge of each mould to remove any residue and give a clean straight edge then turnout both halves onto greaseproof paper, taking care to pull the mould away gently until it releases itself.
- Scrunch a sheet of grease proof paper into a loose ball and place one half of the egg into it, this prevents it rolling around, and add the mocha truffles to the centre of the egg.
- Warm the reserved tablespoon of chocolate and brush it around the edge of the egg you’ve just filled with truffles.
- Place the other half of the egg on top and press together. For a tighter seal, brush melted chocolate around the join of the two halves. Leave in a cool place until set firm.
- To decorate: Be creative! Use a piping bag to pipe names and patterns on the egg, use melted chocolate to stick white chocolate buttons to the egg or simply wrap in coloured foil. When complete, wrap the egg in cellophane and finish with a bow.
Coffee makes a great addition to many recipes and is great for special occasions such as Easter, Valentines Day, Birthdays and Christmas gift ideas. Subscribe to our blog for more great recipes. rijo42 coffee beans are available to buy online with next day delivery.